Thursday, January 29, 2015

Road to California (Part 1)

When my camera died last year, I didn't miss a beat and just kept taking pictures with my iPhone. Of course, in order to take a lot of pictures, one must remember to charge the phone the night before. And, also of course, I didn't, so consequently didn't take as many pictures as I normally would. The good thing about this is that I didn't have a lot of stuff that I sort of liked, I just had pictures of the quilts that I loved.

This pointed out that my tastes are definitely changing -- I am much more attracted to the modern quilts than I thought I would be and also much more interested in the quilting than the piecing, applique, etc.

So over the next two or three days, I'll post what I shot:





"Pyramid" by Colleen Jensen Carlson of Grand Forks ND was entered in a category unfamiliar to me -- "Modern Negative Space". Loved the colors and the quilting. When I took Angela Walters' "Quilting Negative Space" class on Craftsy, I very much liked the way she divided up the space and filled it with various quilting patterns. This quilt utilizes those principles to excellent effect.





In the same category, "Jello Shots" by Jenny Chiovaro of Bacliff TX. In her artist's statement, Jenny mentioned that her quilting was inspired by many of the quilting fillers based on Leah Day's classes.





"Floating Jewels" by Tanya Heldman of Los Angeles CA was entered in the "Modern Piecing" category. Between the colors and the quilting, I just fell in love with this one. I have some neutral fabric about the same color as Tanya's background -- now I have some inspiration in how I might play with it.





This quilt was also entered in Modern Piecing, but now in reading the artist's statement that I photographed, I think I have the wrong description and maker for this quilt. According to my photos, this is "Modern X" by Christa Watson of Las Vegas NV, but I'm not sure this is correct. Can anyone yea or nay this one insofar as who made it? Would appreciate the help!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Ontario CA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...