Tuesday, June 14, 2011

TLC Quilters -- Covina CA

Last Thursday night, I drove to Covina to do a lecture and trunk show for the TLC Quilters Guild. After I got my stuff set up, I grabbed my camera and took a quick tour around the room before the meeting began.

Bought a couple of tickets for the Ways & Means raffle items....everything was displayed so pretty that I couldn't resist!





Every guild I have visited has had some sort of philanthropic program, but I had never seen the requirements for each member spelled out before. At TLC Quilters, every member is expected to contribute to this effort! More information was given during the meeting and it is very interesting how this all works in practice: The contribution does not necessarily have to be a quilt. If a member crochets or knits, they could make an afghan or other covering instead of a quilt; if a member is unable to make a whole quilt due to time constraints (a lot of the members work), then they can contribute blocks or attend one of the workshops where members get together to make quilts for various causes.


I was very impressed by this guild's approach to philanthropy. Most guilds depend on just a few members to make all of the quilts that are given away each year -- this is a way of spreading the work among more hands -- kudos to TLC Quilters!
There is a large library for quilters to borrow from; at the close end of the table, there are a lot of quilting magazines that can be purchased for 50 cents each.


The following pictures are from the Show & Share portion of the meeting:























































I thought this was a great set for the star sampler blocks....























No wonder Show & Share is my favorite part of guild meetings! Thank you, TLC Quilters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...