Monday, November 29, 2010

Alex's Pomegranate Quilt


Getting the mail every day is somewhat of a routine thing, but there is that little bit of excitement as I walk across the street -- will something really good arrive today? A new book? A magazine? Something I ordered from Chico's? A check from a quilt store?

When I'm traveling, Dan piles up all the mail and I plow through it when I get home. In the magazine pile this time was the December 2010 issue of The Quilt Life from Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson. I knew that one of the quilts I had done for Alex recently was going to be in the issue and I couldn't wait to see it (and my name!) in print. The article and instructions for this quilt start on page 70.

Earlier this year on my blog, I showed how I put the border on this quilt using a method called "partial seaming". If you'd like to see that technique, click here.

I've subscribed to the magazine since the charter issue and always find good stuff in it. My favorite things in the current issue (it's still on the newsstand at my local Barnes & Noble and probably yours, too, if you haven't picked it up yet) include a Vintage Bells Christmas Quilt starting on page 36. It's a pieced quilt in soft shades of cream, coral and green with appliqued (yikes!) Christmas bells on it. That would be a lot of applique for me, but I noticed in the article about www.thequiltlife.com that I can go to the website and get a smaller pattern for a table runner if I didn't want to applique the whole quilt -- whew! It's so pretty I just may take the plunge.

The Quilt Life isn't a magazine I leaf through and put aside -- there is so much information and eye candy in each issue that "devour" is probably the verb that comes to mind....I'm going to be in Temecula for the next few days and then on vacation in Cabo San Lucas for a week after that. The Quilt Life is definitely going in the suitcase so I can spend some serious time with this issue!

2 comments:

  1. Ooooooooooooooo! I can't wait to see it. I'm about to renew my membership and go for the whole 3 years.
    Happy quilting!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ggreat Paula .. I also want to subscribe that magazine. I think it could also be helpful for me for my quilt services ...
    By the way thanks for sharing such stuff.....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...