Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Taylor's Puzzle Box Quilt -- Freehand Fun!



Yesterday was a productive day; I was having lunch with Tami, Taylor's grandmother, and wanted to show her that I was actually working on the quilt! So in the morning, I did all of the freehand quilting and now all I have left is the binding. Along with the quilt, I took three fabrics so that Tami could help me choose the binding.

If I have bits of fabrics left over from the piecing, I normally just stick them on the back. Also pieced into the back of this quilt are the leftover polka dot/pink pieces from the strip sets used to construct the blocks. Then I just finished out the back with other larger pieces. I've found that I'm buying a lot less backing fabric this way and it makes the reverse side of the quilt more interesting.

For the quilting in the 6" blocks, I just stitched in some hearts....

















The pink background gave me room to play with hearts and loops...



...and I let the outer border fabric tell me what it wanted. For all of the quilting, both in the top of the machine and the bobbin, I used Mettler 100% cotton silk finish thread #805, which is a bright coral-ly pink! The quilting was accomplished on my Bernina 730 with the Bernina Stitch Regulator foot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...