Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sewing the Feathers in the Border


It wasn't easy, but after taking into consideration the density of the quilting that I had already done as well as how I thought each of the feather borders might look, I made my choice. The name of the manufacturing company is not on the sticker, just a description Big/Little Feather, SN22, 3".



Several factors went into the decision as to which marking tool to use, the primary consideration being that I was not going to wash this quilt before sending it to the Road to California office. That meant that water-soluble markers weren't suitable. Thought about the air soluble, but the fabric is fairly dark, so the purple may not have shown up well.



So I used the Ultimate Pounce Pad, which has white chalk particles that give a nice clear line, don't smear and irons off when you're done. After I finish the quilting, I usually give the marked areas a good brush and then iron off any remaining chalk.


I stitched the center line first because I think it's easier to stitch the feathers to meet the line than to try to connect sewn feathers with the line afterward.



Then the feathers are stitched to meet the center. Below is a shot of the back of the quilt so you can see the stitching without the chalk in the way.

















A "boo-boo pin" marks my mistake so I can take it out later....


The second side is stitched....



And when I'm all done, the bat goes in the lower right hand corner somewhere -- sort of a signature thing.

Now all I have to do is bind it and put the sleeve on and it's ready to ship!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...