Saturday, December 5, 2009

Getting Ready for Tonight's "Gourmet Dinner"

Once a month the owners of my local quilt shop Bolts in the Bathtub and my husband Dan and I get together for a gourmet dinner. We take turns hosting, so tonight I am cooking four courses, Dan is matching them with the appropriate wines and the other two couples are guests. Then for the next two months, we just show up ready to enjoy good food and wine at one of the other two houses.

It's a great opportunity to try out new recipes on people who will love you even if the food isn't perfect! Dan also uses these times to try out new wine pairings as the seasons turn and ingredients change. Living in Southern California, it is quite often possible to use local and organic produce, so we always have good fresh things to eat.



We decorated the table this morning -- since it's December, it was pretty easy to go with a Christmas theme. Each year, we move ahead a month, so in 2009, I got March, June, September and December; in 2010, I'll have January, April, July and October. Yikes! That means I'll have two months in a row! But as a HUGE consolation prize -- I get Halloween!! Hooray!!



Another picture of the table; that's a Longaberger basket with a wreath, a hurricane lamp and a candle in it. The crystal is Mikasa's Ribbon Holly Christmas pattern. There is a gold tablecloth underneath the whole thing and then a 2-yard piece of sheer gold holly print fabric on top of that.



The big wine glass is from Partylite candles and was a gift to me from Sheila Connolly, one of our super AAQ retreat people from session I -- thank you, Sheila! Doesn't it look fab? When I got home I immediately called my PartyLite lady to see if she had another one -- SCORE!



Closeup of the place setting, which is probably a good time to share the menu:

Salad Course: Ruby Grapefruit and Avocado Salad with Three Cheese Two Bite Souffles (served with Champagne)

First Course: Roasted Grape Tomatoes with Garlic Olive Oil on Toasted Artisan Bread (made by me and served with some sort of red wine Dan hasn't decided on yet)

Main Course: Rosemary Apricot Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Cheese Polenta and Sauteed Green Beans (Pinot Noir)

Dessert: Roasted Pears with Almonds, Cranberries and White Chocolate Drizzle (some sort of dessert wine that Dan hasn't decided on yet).

The champagne is in the fridge, but about a half hour before guests arrive, Dan will scrounge through his wine cellar and come up with some good stuff.



As for me, I have things well under control -- well, at least the bread dough is under control! Now back into the kitchen to get everything else prepped.....

Hopefully, this time I'll remember to take pictures of the food!

1 comment:

  1. what a fantastic idea...a chance to really go to town with the crockery etc and recipes.

    I really like your cutlery...enjoy your meal and the cooking and photos would be good!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...