Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Starry Night Hollow -- Encinitas CA (Part 2)

Here's the second post from my visit to Starry Night Hollow -- the one you really wanted to see, the quilts!

Andie Carlin with a quick-to-put-together, colorful scrap quilt -- hmmm, maybe I need to go back to the scraps in the bathtub?



This quilt really caught my eye because -- duh, it's Halloween -- but also because the quilt was so different from the pattern due to the background fabric change. The pattern, which you can see a few pictures down, is done with a cream-on-cream polka dot background fabric; the Hollow's version uses a bright fabric that is shaded from selvage to middle and back again out to the selvage. There were a few colorways, but this is my favorite. The fabric is "Gradations" by Caryl Bryer Fallert for Benartex.

The pattern is from Crab-apple Hill, #313 Hocuspocusville, and is 68" square as pictured on the pattern cover. I love designer Meg Hawley's attitude -- on the back of the cover, it says "Crab-apple Hill - whatever strikes my fancy!"

A close-up of my favorite block: The Black Cauldron, which features authentic witch cuisine. The specialties, as advertised on the signs, are Spider Soup and Worms Alfredo, and there are bats in the sky -- what's not to love?















This is the same block with a fun, colorful, scrappy fabric border added.














I bought the pattern -- of course! -- and some of the fabric used as the background for the embroidered blocks in the big quilt. It shades from a yellow-gold through orange to fuschia with a little bit of dark purple thrown in.

As if I needed any more inspiration to get in the mood for Halloween!


I can't say enough about Kim's series of quilts based on children's stories -- Here is a close-up of the Rumplestiltskin fairy tale quilt (know how to say it, but don't know if it is spelled correctly)...the princess' hair is made of lots of jumbo rick rack!

Alice in Wonderland with the caterpillar and his hookah....

And the Princess and the Pea....


Andie told me that there was a fourth fairy tale quilt that was not in the store at the time. I definitely want to come back to this store earlier in the day so that I can spend some time really studying these quilts. The applique and embellishment are exquisite and Kim's interpretation of the fairy tale themes into fabric are beautiful. Pictures don't really do them justice, especially since there are so many wonderful things in the shop, I couldn't get far enough away to photograph the entire surface of the quilts.

I sent an e-mail to my goddaughter asking her if she wanted to do lunch and the quilt show next month, so we'll see what she says. Maybe I'll get back here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...